FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CAN/AU citizen with no CAN passport- is the land border a viable option?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:41 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by inapickle
Hi,

This post is in reference to the recent changes in Canadian law regarding dual citizens- we can no longer enter Canada on non-Canadian passports so we must enter Canada on a valid Canadian passport if flying by air.

I'm a dual citizen (CAN/AU) and I was planning on visiting Vancouver at the end of this year.

I gained Canadian citizenship following permanent residency when I was 11 years old but left Canada around then, and my parents never applied for a Canadian passport on my behalf. I haven't been there since I was 11.

Its been 12 years since then (currently in Australia), and we've moved houses a couple of times. I haven't been able to find my citizenship paperwork anywhere so I can't actually apply for a Canadian passport at the moment. I can't apply for a temporary passport either because I've never held a Canadian passport before as per the consulate. There isn't enough time to apply for a replacement certificate (since the processing time is 5+ months).

I'm eligible for special authorization but I'm worried I might be rejected since I've never held a Canadian passport so I don't want to risk it.

My only real option (if it counts as one), is to fly into Seattle and take a train up to Vancouver all on my Australian passport. Is this doable and allowed? I'm just scared that the border staff will flag me down and ask why I didn't just fly into Vancouver directly. Likewise, will I have any issues at SeaTac if I explain that the main purpose of my trip is to visit Vancouver?

I'm also brown and wear a headscarf so I also have an irrational fear that I'll be denied entry either into Seattle or Canada via land based on my appearance.

What's my best plan of action here?

Thanks!
The land-border is a viable option, but how it goes can vary. Between the lack of Canadian passport history and little to no proof readily available to demonstrate Canadian citizenship/identity, the condition and period of detention for them to confirm Canadian identity and citizenship is something to consider. It’s illegal for Canada to deny recognized Canadian citizens entry into Canada if the Canadian citizen is at a Canadian port of entry on Canadian territory.

Also, US CBP could be at least as much of a hurdle
as their Canadian functional equivalents.