FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Great Ocean Road (from Melbourne)
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:58 pm
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by rtgta
Thank you for adding in more details, this is going to be super helpful. Can you share more about the parking situation , are there multiple parking lots or just 2 (one near stairs and the one where you parked) and what about parking situation at lookout points along the way ?
Yes, the parking at Twelve Apostles is quite substantial. Although I don't have problems driving on the left, parking is still tough for me, so I prefer to park away from other vehicles. I'm guessing the lot at Twelve Apostles could hold 200+ vehicles (plus a separate area for bus/coach).
We weren't planning to go to Gibson Steps, but we saw a sign from Twelve Apostles and decided it would be nice to stretch the legs. It is about a 10 min walk over there. The steps really weren't too difficult, but they do get wet and a bit slippery as you get close to the water. If you want to do both, I recommend parking at Twelve Apostles and doing the walk.

The other lookouts/viewpoints were much smaller, but I didn't have any trouble finding a place to park. We were probably stopped at those for maybe 5-10 minutes.

One more thing...no matter the weather in Melbourne (or wherever you begin), I highly recommend bringing a jacket with you. We put ours on the backseat of the car, and it made things much more comfortable while outside near Twelve Apostles, and the other areas. We saw some people in shorts/t-shirts and they really looked freezing. When you get close to the coast, there could be some winds, water, and definitely cooler temperatures.