FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Java in J: Indonesia With Saudia, Singapore and Garuda in Business Class
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:22 pm
Romanianflyer

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Part 7: Jakarta, Indonesia
Hotel: The Hermitage, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, 140 EUR/night incl. breakfast

As I was in a bad need of a relaxing summer trip away from it all I decided to splurge a bit above my usual budget by only staying in some of the finest hotels. I am not a fan of chain hotels as most are rather soulless while others are vastly overpriced for what they offer. Being a hardworking average dude from humble backgrounds a bed is still a bed for me. If I opt to pay more, I am paying for the experience and surroundings rather than for the luxury – especially so when travelling alone.

That said, there are some properties for which I don't mind paying a bit more for. While in Jakarta you can easily get a good, centrally located hotel for 40-50 EUR, I opted for the Hermitage Hotel as I heard great stories about it and because it is a bit of colonial history.

On arrival after a one-and-a-half hour drive from the airport, I was quickly welcomed by the amazing staff of this hotel. I have seen great service and seen true hospitality – but this hotel managed to kick both into a much higher category. From bar staff to bell boys, the staff was just exceptional in anticipating on all your needs and providing true hospitality in welcoming you to their country. Even though friendliness and a smile is the norm in Indonesia, I found the staff at the Hermitage really exceptional.

The hotel itself consists of an older Dutch colonial building and a modern annexe – but both seemingly match naturally in style. It used to be a PTT office – where the Dutch telegraph and postal services were located in the posh Menteng neighbourhood full of old villas. The hotel is still full of magnificent old artefacts and other decorative items.

My standard room did not disappoint and had a large kingsize bed, coffee and tea facilities, tons of storage space and a huge bathroom.

After unpacking and changing into swimming attire I headed to the rooftop swimming pool and bar for a refreshing dip after my long flight. The pool is decently sized, has loungers and also a fitness room next to it.

Of course, what I needed perhaps more than a refreshing swim was a cold one after spending a day on Saudia and Riyadh Airport.

One level up from the pool is the highest point of the rooftop, which has a L-shaped seating area with some comfy sofas and some stools to watch the sweeping views of the Jakarta skyline.

On recommendation of the staff I ordered their in-house speciality, a lemon and tequila flavoured cocktail. It was indeed very good and refreshing and packed quite some punch. I stayed for a bit to watch the sunset, although sunsets aren't nearly as spectacular as elsewhere due to the immense amount of smog.

After the sunset I headed back to my room to take a shower and change, and to have a short walk around the area as I needed cash $ from an ATM having been unable to take money at the airport as I forgot to activate my card for Indonesia at home.

Back in the hotel I explored the grounds a bit more of the old main building. What a gorgeous-looking hotel this is really.

Unfortunately, the cigar room was closed during my visit – but a friendly employee nevertheless unlocked the door for me and showed me around the beautifully appointed room and the personal collections of the hotel owner showed in there.

As I was way too relaxed and lazy I decided to stay in the hotel for dinner and sat down in one of the two (or three?) restaurants on site. I had another beer – a Bali Hai – which tasted way beter than the watery Bintang.

For dinner I ordered the nasi goreng, which came with satay, chicken, fried rice, prawn crackers and some small sides. It was absolutely delicious.

After dinner I decided to go for an evening swim followed by an evening cocktail at the rooftop bar. I forgot exactly what the ingredients were in the inventive cocktail, but it had some whiskey, berry juice and cinnamon – and was absolutely great.

I slept like a baby and woke up the following morning just in time to have some breakfast, which was served in gorgeous colonial surroundings.

The food spread was pretty impressive, and consisted both of Western and Indonesian favourites.

Eager-to-please staff came within seconds to ask for my choice of coffee and to ask if I might want the chef to prepare some eggs for me, an offer I gladly accepted. Food quality overall was outstanding. I only found the coffee a bit weak and watery for my taste – but that was a thing common all over the country what I would find except in some speciality coffee chains.

In short: What a fantastic hotel the Hermitage is. I would love to visit again and won't even think about staying in another hotel next time I would be in Jakarta. The hotel oozes colonial charm, is located in a quiet and safe neighbourhood of town, has great facilities, comfortable rooms and great food and beverage services. Most of all, I found the staff to be exceptional. I cannot recommend it enough.