FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting in Frankfurt [FRA] 2009-2023 (retired)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:12 pm
NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mozilla
Yes, it makes sense if they use it for the tours, however, note that there was actually a Condor flight departing from that gate (see screen above person). Except if they somehow use Condor branding to accent the leisure aspect of the airport tour, can't recall exactly what destination was on the screen.

So I guess the gate has its own security setup, or it is one of those famous dual-function gates that FRA has (like B19/B20) that can be assigned different roles, and in case of a flight, pax would actually enter the gate from the other side (not pictured here) after passing through the security checkpoint for gates C.
I think C1/C2 may be dual function gates like B19/B20. If you look at the map on FRA Airport app you will see that C1 and C2 are right next to each other.

On Apple Maps you can see a Condor aircraft parked possibly at C4.

On Google Maps an Etihad aircraft is parked in the same position with a Condor aircraft taxing away.

While we're at it, 2 more observations about the EU's continental *A hub:
* The security checkpoint between SkyLine A/Z station and the A/Z gates needs more patronage, I'm afraid they will close it if I continue to be the only pax there every time I use it
* The maps that both FRAPORT and LH publish drive me nuts. For example, not one map has the A-B tunnel right:
FRAPORT shows no border between the tunnel and higher B non-Schengen gates.
LH shows the same, tunnel lies after border control.

If you look closely you can see that both maps have more errors in common - for example, the FRAPORT somehow shows the A/Z SkyLine station as an extension to the B gates, while LH gets the location right but shows the station on the level of the Z-gates - up to the point that I start wondering if these are actual errors or rather some kind of "security through obscurity" policy they apply.

In any case, I did a walking tour of FRA the very first time I got there to get a grasp on the airport, as the maps made me more confused, especially when reading them in conjunction with the reference posts in the beginning of this thread (which are at least correct).
I have seen the A/Z security check points with very long queues. I don't think you need to worry.

As I wrote in the first post I haven't found an accurate map of Frankfurt Airport. The map on FRA Airport app is probably more accurate than others but it has its quirks.

I'm not sure if you can get off the Skyline train in A concourse since both D/E and B stops are landside. You need a BP to get off in Z concourse.