FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:04 pm
dgmom

Thumbs up

We just flew home from the Big Island today. Hiking out to see the volcano was a real thrill. My husband and I ( out of shape 50+ year olds) and our 14 year old son were at the park on Sunday. From the end of the paved path where the ranger is located the hike took 45-50 min to get out where you could see the lava enter the ocean. I did not find it an easy stroll...I was wearing teva sandals instead of shoes, my mistake, and it was quite warm. We were out at the end of the trail about 5:30 and stayed until 6, having decided we didn't want to walk back in the dark. While we were walking back we noticed a breakout of lava up high on the hillside along with 4 or 5 smaller ones farther down. When we returned to the rangers area they had a telescope focused on the bigger breakout. It was so amazing to see. This had to be the highlight of my trip. We live not far from Mt. St. Helens in Washington and remember ash raining down on our town for hours. But the sight of the lava and the new land forming was worth every cent I spent to go to Hawaii. A true once in a lifetime experience.