FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:10 am
ILuvParis
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by nishimark
When arriving on international flight and transferring to another flight, there is no way to directly return to the gate area after clearing immigration and customs from the customs area. Rather, you must exit out onto the sidewalk and make your way to your next departure gate by going through security with everyone else who is departing at that time. It's a hassle if you don't have much time and want to get something to eat or shop on your short layover.

I arrived from Japan on Delta the other day and then transferred to a domestic flight to LAX. After clearing immigration, I picked up my bag to recheck it at the designated area inside of customs. However, no one was there at the Delta counter. Talked to someone working for JAL doing the same job and he said "Oh, they should be back soon". After 5 or so minutes of waiting and looking and wondering what to do, talked to the JAL guy again and he directed me to go back to the luggage carrousel, as they were probably there. Sure enough, hauling my bag back to where I came from, I found the Delta lady "talking story" with other employees. She laughed when I told her that I was looking for her or someone, and then finally took care of my bag and boarding pass for the next flight. Frustrating, but so Hawaii.
You had me at "talking story."