FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New York City EDITION [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:32 am
GrandOldTurkey

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by iamalexchung
Is this resort fee a new thing for this property? We are staying there in January and notice it's included on the reservation.
How new, I can't say. My Hen and I stayed at the NYC Edition for 5 nights on points last month. We were charged $35 a day (plus taxes, 8.875% state sales and 5.875% occupancy) for each day. We stopped at the bar for three of those days. Each bar bill was reduced by $35 and we were charged for the difference (for example, our bar bill on the first day was $35.13, our folio showed a charge of 13 cents along with the fee of $35+taxes). I had three t-shirts laundered (at $10 a shirt + taxes). This laundry bill did not show off on the folio at all (the FDC said because the total owed was under $35).

The bar has a very limited food menu and the drink prices are in the high teens for a glass of wine. Two drinks plus tax and you'll be over the $35. Also this fee does not carry over to the ClockTower restaurant. One has to use the $35 at the bar, laundry service or for a massage. We basically ate outside the Edition for dinner, and came back for after dinner drinks and ice cream.

The Edition is a fine hotel, but not over the top great. It is nothing like the old Waldorf Astoria Towers, with their outstanding level of service. The door men were there, sometimes. There was a different bar tender each of the three evenings we stopped by the bar. Some pours were generous, others not as much. It looked like a lot of locals use the bar, many customers were using credit cards to pay their bills, not a room charge.

For public transportation, the location is is one of the best in NYC. Two different subway lines and a uptown and cross town bus line within a block of the hotel. The park across the street has a young children's play area and for NYC is well kept. Our room was next to a young couple with an infant. I could hear the child from the hallway, but not inside our room. There is a grocery nearby and several diners, where you can get a breakfast for about $10.

The Edition is definitely a hotel to consider in NYC if you are its price point.