FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New elite qualification rules for 2019
View Single Post
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:55 pm
Carolinas

Programs: BA Gold, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by SCLflyer
After 10+ years as Comodoro (Black) I'm saying goodbye to LanPass.. I've managed to keep both LA Black and AA Exec Plat and to be honest I'd rather have 4 or 6 confirmed Upgrades on AA rather than playing Lan's roulette.
Indeed ^
Originally Posted by SCLflyer
This move is clearly to get rid of the Black's that made it without generating revenue to the airline and on the other hand they have boosted the Qualifying points in domestic flights in order to keep the loyalty of frequent fliers that are now tempted to fly on the new low costs in the region..
It was true a couple of years ago before LATAM introduced the monetary requirements for qualification (6000 Elite Dollars for Platinums and 12000 for Blacks). The elites in 2018 are only those ones who have met required spending (even reaching the status on segments would still push the total spending to those numbers). Now, 12000 USD for Blacks is very close to what many other OW partners requires. And many of those partners are from much wealthier states ... That's why I cannot comprehend the logic of LATAM suddenly introducing such unprecedented conditions.

According to some rumors, AA is gonna introduce a similar increase of the qualifications thresholds soon, but US is much much bigger market with much bigger volume of passengers You can't keep blindly copying other airlines without careful adjustment to the local reality. I really don't see the logic here.

I think you could be right and LATAM might face some serious backlash on that issue.