FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
trikotret

Originally Posted by Javier1704
I agree 100% with you.

There is no reason for me to keep the CSR other than that I own a very small business where I earn 20,000 UR a month using my Chase Freedom Unlimited and that I can transfer those points directly to United Airlines which has really good international deals with low fees (Washington to Seville is never under $1,200 and with United is only 60,000 points and $120 fees, same for a lot of cities in Europe). I would use AMEX for my business but none of the merchants where I buy stuff accept it and 1.5 UR per dollar is the best I can do. So, I'm basically paying $150 for the ability to transfer these points to United Airlines and 1.5x redemption. If I had no business, I don't think this card would be justified, Not even with 3x on international dining and travel.

Now for personal expenses, the Gold card is a no brainer if you are in the AMEX ecosystem:
1) 5x on flights with Amex Platinum
2) 4x on dining and grocery store (I think this accounts for 70% of my credit card spending) with Amex Gold
3) 2x on everthing else with Amex Blue Business Plus

For the annual fees, as far as I'm concerned, the math checks out: $800 ($550 plat + $250 gold) - $300 airline credit (gift cards on southwest) - $120 dining credit - $200 Uber credits = $180 for Platinum benefits? Totes worth it.

The most interesting thing is that I used Uber and GrubHub regularly before having any of these cards. Now, if the airline credit stops working for gift cards then that would be me wasting $300 because I never have any incidentals. I'm ok flying economy with only a carry on.
You can always get the ink business for 95 a year and be able to transfer points