FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:15 pm
SFO_FT

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by rustykettel
If it's a cancelled ticket, once the cancellation fee is paid (if not Gold/75K), you can either apply it to a ticket, turn it into travel certificate, or deposit into MyWallet. I've only done the applying the ticket directly with a travel agent (company paid ticket) who worked with an AS agent so never done it directly myself on the website, but the excess value went into a travel certificate.Travel certificates maintain the residual value until used up or expire.
The AS agent I spoke with said that once a ticket is cancelled (ie, not immediately deposited to My Wallet), it no longer can. (I'm Gold, fortunately, so the change fees aren't an issue.) I didn't realize that a cancelled ticket converts to a travel cert, rather than remain as the original ticket. On other carriers, original. non-ref tickets can only be applied as a lump sum amount, with no remaining value if the new ticket is less than the old. So, good to hear that AS is more flexible and customer-friendly than others.