FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR-HEL run & meet-up thread
View Single Post
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:38 pm
Lefly

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
I’m not doing this HEL run but have just spent last week in Helsinki on a business trip. I find Helsinki to be a chaotic airport and personally wouldn’t want to spend the night in a pod when the Scandic airport hotel is 5 minutes walk from the terminal. I attended a meeting at this Scandic and it looked okay, no idea what the room rate was though.

I stayed in the Scandic Marina which is a converted warehouse about 20 minutes walk from the central station in Helsinki city centre or you can get a number 4 tram from Lasipalatsi about 100 metres from the station.

The Scandic was ok, I’ve stayed in better and I’m sure you could find better yourselves but it was comfortable and convenient. The train from the airport is takes about 30 and costs €5 for a one way trip, they are frequent and punctual and never had many people on them when Intravelled.
The convenience of the Pods, IMO, is when you have a very short night layover, like arriving 23:30 and departing the morning after at 7:45
Personally I don't find great value in spending 110 eur* for less than 6 hrs of sleep, so I welcome the 35/40 eur Pod alternative option

By the way, I don't find HEL so chaotic...

*Scandic example rate on 17/18 Nov (non refundable rate)