FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Conflicts between your iPhone and the ship's wifi:
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:18 am
Randyk47

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 747FC
On another matter, I cannot imagine a company, cruise ship or not, that provides a service like Cellular at Sea without charging the service provider for the opportunity to make a profit off of its customers.
I agree. It may not be a direct cost like 10% of calls made during a specific cruise or on a ship but the cruise line is getting some reimbursement somewhere. I imagine it’s a negotiated contract at the corporate level, something along the lines of a company like Cellular at Sea paying Silversea $XXX up front for the right to provide cell service for three to five years. I have no misgivings about every cruise line squeezing every nickel and dime they can out of every service they provide. Go cruise on a mass market line and come back and talk about what was included and what was provided only at an extra charge. Go cruise on an upscale all inclusive line and come back and talk about the up front fare difference. Sure there are variances, way too many to cover here but nothing is free.