FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Club Europe catering | menus, reviews and photos
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:45 am
crazyanglaisy

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm

9/28/18 LHR-JTR. Band 4 lunch.

To me, this meal represents a significant downgrade in the Band 4 catering. I do not consider the minuscule salad of lettuce, half a cherry tomato, and some shaved parmasean to be a starter, so in my opinion, the starter course has been eliminated. The chicken I will say was perfectly cooked and amazingly succulent, but with the mashed potatoes and pigs-in-a-blanket, it felt like a school dinner. The cheese was nice but the crackers seem much smaller than the old oat cakes and there was far too little fig chutney. Gone are the proper slices of cake, replaced with a small but tasty pot of chocolate mousse.

New crockery is very nice and the coffee was drinkable. Excellent service from the staff through the whole flight.

I completely agree. The Band 4 flights are not what they were before these changes, and I don't find the quality of the meals from LGW to have noticeably improved (unlike from LHR). As before, the desserts remain the stand out item on the tray. A last minute change on most recent flight from a G-MID* aircraft to the Titan G-POWM (their very cramped 180 seat A320) also didn't help, though it was pretty funny sat in 1A observing 3 very competent and professional crew-members and a food trolley crowded together into the curtain-shrouded half-galley trying to prepare drink and food orders for a very busy cabin. To be fair, they did a sterling job in ridiculous working conditions. It was also the first ever time that I've seen a crew offer pre-departure beverages on BA short haul!

My abiding thought is that Band 4 catering in CE is now almost identical to what is served for the main meal in long-haul WTP. The only difference is that the starter and dessert get served in proper bowls, and there's obviously a slightly upgraded drinks selection. It is shame that they haven't improved the wines to the same level of quality as those served in CW. But, yes, the coffee is much improved.

Last edited by crazyanglaisy; Sep 30, 2018 at 3:59 am Reason: errors