FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Diamond Plus worth anything these days?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:22 pm
sol95

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nme7
In regards to op-ups, booking class is the first consideration. Then in each booking class, they will look for passengers with the highest status.
How are you so definitively certain about this order of priority in working out op-ups? While it generally makes sense, unless you have some objective proof, this is just your opinion, and not something that's a set procedure.

Personally, I have experience where this simply could not have been the case. Most recently was on a return SYD-ICN trip in the Christmas-New Years window late last year and early this year. I was on the cheapest economy ticket which accrued 50% that I got very early on in the year, and was no longer available by mid year. So in essence, apart from award tickets, I was probably on one of the cheapest fares. However, as a OZ Platinum, I was upgraded on both legs to J. I was travelling on the return flight with a cousin who is OZ Gold, and had a more expensive, 100% mileage accrual fare than me who was not upgraded. So clearly, there were others who had a booking class greater than mine, but were not upgraded. In this instance, it's clear my status was the first consideration in the op-up.

Last edited by sol95; Sep 29, 2018 at 7:33 pm