FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Offline I-D connection in FLL.
View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:28 pm
RumPatrol

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I am thinking of doing a connection in FLL from B6 to DL (or possibly WN). I would be flying B6 BGI-FLL and then connecting to FLL-Home (CVG, DAY, or CMH). My question is how much money would you have to save to do this, and if you did it, how much time would you allow for the connection? The only realistic one ticket option in on AA through MIA.
I'm FLL based (and actually flew FLL-CVG earlier today). I don't think I would risk this unless there was at least a 3 hour cushion, ideally more, which would completely rule out B6 to FLL as that B6 flight arrives about 10am and the DL flight to CVG is an 11:20 or so departure. Southwest might offer more options. Your FLL-CVG/DAY/CMH options would be very slim if you missed that flight, not to mention the cost of a walk-up fare.

Originally Posted by kop84
Just a thought, have you considered a quick island flight to SXM or another Caribbean destination that would allow for perhaps a cheaper ticket on one airline be it DL, AA, B6, or WN?
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Doesn't that run into basically the same problem, except if I miss it, I am stuck at SXM instead of FLL.
I almost always suggest the SXM+island hopper option for people flying deeper into the Caribbean, but not in this situation. The OP would end up with an overnight/two connection flight from SXM to any of those airports, except for on Delta, which would have one same day connection through ATL. I also can't imagine it would save much money. Having flown DL SXM-ATL-Lots of different airports one way many, many times, it can get pretty expensive at times. If anything, the price would be the same as B6 to DL via FLL plus the added inter-island stop.

OP, the bottom line here is how much risk you're willing to assume and, more importantly, how important saving a few hundred is to you. I personally wouldn't risk it on two different reservations without at least a 3 hour cushion, and an established backup plan just in case. Maybe if the savings was in the thousands, but that's not for me to decide.