FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Java in J: Indonesia With Saudia, Singapore and Garuda in Business Class
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:47 am
Romanianflyer

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Nothing wrong with a bit of pre-gaming!

Like you, I am an enthusiastic and regular drinker. I don't often binge but I do definitely feel the lack of a glass of wine with dinner, though these days I make a concerted effort to have two consecutive AFDs (alcohol free days) per week, and to general astonishment I managed a full four alcohol weeks recently as part of 'dry July'.

When I visited Iran a few years ago, to my surprise it was not a completely dry experience as our hosts (family friends from many years ago) made their own wine, and unlike any other home-made wine I've tasted it was actually quite pleasant. Given how fantastic the food was, it would have been a great shame not to have some wine to wash it down with.
Absolutely same here! I don't drink Tuesday up to Thursday (if no special events that is) but other days I like a cold pint or glass of wine with my food or before going to sleep. The only thing I don't really drink is hard alcohol/shots unless forced by friends on a night out. I just don't like it and prefer a beer or some good wine. The only exception to it would be a nice whiskey or cognac on occasions (if flying business on any airline not called Saudia) - weirdly enough even if I do have a few nice bottles at home I rarely drink from them. The lovely 12yo Ararat brandy I bought last July is still unopened!

And that's a nice story from Iran, thanks for sharing! I had exactly the same experience there and was equally surprised by it - speeding through Shiraz in a big SUV while drinking G&Ts and vodka Red Bulls mixed in the car, stopping at a seemingly normal looking shop where they sold arak from under the counter.. interesting! Just a pity I didn't manage to get wine, would have loved to be able to say I drank wine in Shiraz