FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi retention offers (2018 - 2021)
View Single Post
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:12 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daslax
Called to cancel or get retention offer on Premier and am now thoroughly confused. The rep sounded like he was about to transfer me to retention and then stopped and said “never mind” and proceeded to go through all the downgrade options, which I wasn’t interested in. He then told me that even though I still have the Prestige and AT&T cards, that once I cancelled my account I could only redeem the Premier-earned points for gift cards within 60 days and even if I waited to cancel, I would not be able to specifically transfer Premier-earned points to miles. Is that right? If you have pooled TY points, it’s not possible to ever close one of the associated accounts unless you want to redeem the orphaned points for gift cards? He did specifically say towards the end of the call that there were no retention offers on the account.
Close to it! The only ways you can avoid losing points (after 60 days) you earned on the Premier is to either keep the card (presumably with a retention bonus) or downgrade to a no-AF Preferred. Closing it means you lose your points in 60 days. (You need to the thread linked below -- starting with its wikipost -- to figure out what restrictions there are during those 60 days.)

Unlike Chase UR and Amex MR, Citi keeps track of what card you earned each point with, and expires them separately, no matter where you've moved them around to.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...derations.html