FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Welcome speech - attendant discretion or driven by analytics?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:24 am
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC Turkey follows the EC261 regulations, so you may have been able to get compensation for the delay. Alternatively did you ask them to refund the delayed asegment (check the T&C for this) rather than reimburse you for the new ticket you purchased. You might be able to get a partial refund from your credit card too.
Turkish Airlines claims they follow EU261 but have no legal need to do so (unless flying ex-EU). Turkey has its own EU261-like regulation but is very ambiguous about connections. I filed a complaint with the Turkish regulator, followed up three times, and never got a response. So clearly enforcement is lacking - I assume TK is too connected to the increasingly autocratic state for any real regulatory backlash.

To complicate things further, it was UA ticket stock. UA tells me that Turkey is responsible to dole out compensation (and as far as I know they are correct). UA offered me 25K miles or $250 voucher as goodwill but I declined them because they are not responsible. Similarly, a credit card chargeback just impacts UA, not TK - and I'm not about to risk my UA account over $150.

Thai told me that TK is liable but offered me the great circle value of the total price of the ticket I did not fly as a voucher, but my total flight was about 12K miles and the last leg was only 500 miles so it was both trivial and I do not expect to fly Thai again in the next year so I declined the comp.

TK says they got me to my connecting destination "with only a 1h55m delay" and that they took care of me by offering a hotel, food vouchers, and next available flight rebooking (which I declined).

It's partly my fault for a complex itin (UA ticket stock with TK and TG legs) but I was flabbergasted that TK would fight me over a $150 comp claim (which was less than the value of the hotel and food vouchers I was offered). I didn't even try to claim the comp for the taxi trom BKK to DMG.

Point is, cute video but don't fly TK unless it's a nonstop. Sorry to run offtopic!