FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada rouge Flight Report and Feedback Thread
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:30 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Just thought I'd post this quick write up before it escapes my memory (I flew this nearly 2 weeks ago) - to summarize:
  • Ground Service : Surprisingly, AC treats Rogue flights like any other AC flight for the purpose of *A status. I was able to check in my 2 bags at the J pavilion at YYZ thanks to my UA Gold status (each bag was tagged priority as well). Upon clearing security I was able to get into the MLL and eat something, take a shower, and do some work prior to the flight. Similarly, I was granted priority boarding (Zone 2) allowing me to cut into the kettles just before they were to board!
  • In Flight Experience:
    • Aircraft : The flight was serviced by a 767 which was probably delivered to AC before the Cosby show was on the air!
    • General : Cabin crew consisted of mainly teenagers many of whom appeared to have one too many red bulls!
    • Meals: No booze (fortunately I pre-drank in the MLL before boarding) and meals seemed to be on the light side with limited variety (i.e. 2-3 options to choose from)
    • Seat : Easily the biggest drawback of the flight. At first they didn't feel or look that bad to sit on. After an hour of sitting on them I felt a pain in the rear I haven't felt even on long-haul flights in Y with UA (i.e. my 14 hour flight to NRT). It's not really a case of not enough leg room as I always find a way to stretch my legs out one way or another, it's just that the seats are plane nasty to sit on for long periods of time. They make the Ricaro slimline seats feel like they're made out of real Corinthian leather.
    • AVOD : There was a decent sized touch screen entertainment system which had some recent films and TV shows (i.e. Season 5 of Silicon Valley). However, I spent most of my time using my iPad or working on my MacBook
    • Wifi : No wifi service was offered on this flight
  • Other: An interesting quirk of flying Rogue is you earn a 25% class of service bonus on RDM when crediting miles to UA (totalling 75% milage on my K fare)
Would I fly them again?
Depends on the length of the flight and alternatives. For these short haul flights (i.e. < 7 hours) it's fine, but I couldn't stand flying this thing medium-long haul (i.e. YVR to KIX)! If this were operated by another non-*A airline (i.e. WS) then the answer would be hell no regardless of distance or price - the *A Gold perks made up for much of the suckiness of the flight! The additional RDM thanks to the UA glitch certainly made this whole experience a slightly less bitter pill to swallow. One thing that escapes me is that in spite of it being a discount brand of AC, the fare I paid for YYZ -> MAN on Rogue was about the same as the fare I paid for the return (LHR -> YYZ) on AC mainline. Furthermore, I managed to snag an open jaw LHR -> LAX, EWR -> LHR for $515 CAD on UA mainline which gives me access to E+ seating and all the other benefits that befell a UA elite (which was around $200 CAD less than I paid for this YYZ -> MAN, LHR -> YYZ open jaw).

It should be noted that this route offers PE called Premium Rogue. The main difference here is supposedly the seats are more comfortable to sit in and they'll offer you booze. Unfortunately, the cheapest upgrade option I saw was over $340 CAD via BidUpgrade which IMHO is too much to pay for such a minor upgrade on a short flight (that was also the least you could bid, so there was also a chance that you'll not win the bid!) To give you some perspective on upgrades, I spent $500 USD last year to upgrade a ORD -> HNL flight to F on UA. For that money I got to be seated on a lie flat seat for 10+ hours, be served a couple of meals and earn double PQM to boot! Similarly I spent $700 USD last year to upgrade FRA -> YYZ on LH which allowed me to sit upper deck on a 747 with lie flat seats and 5 course meal service, access the LH lounge (I was *A Kettle then), earn double PQM and RDM for a 8 hour flight!

Apologies for not having any photos to share. I suspect if you Google tacky aircraft interiors you'll likely find numerous photos of the Rogue 767

Safe Travels,

James
I had no idea booze was only available in Y on North American flights.