FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:09 am
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by nologic
Unless you want to micro manage what card you use for different types of spends, is there any other card that gives 1.5x points convertible into 1.5 miles/$ spend on everyday purchases?

For example, I can pay my rent with a credit card, and taxes...that costs about 2%, but I seek to redeem on business and first class international travel at 4-6+ cents per dollar.

SPG offered 1.25 miles/$ with the 25% transfer bonus. But that's now gone,

At a flat 1.5x to MR, which has a large number of airline partners, is there any card that approaches this benefit?
If you want only one card, then the Everyday Preferred card is a good option -- it gets 1.5 MR points per dollar on all spend (plus further bonuses on grocery stores and gas stations) as long as you have 30 transactions on that card per month. And hitting that number of transactions per month should be easy enough if you use only one card for everything.

Personally I don't have an Everyday Preferred card because I also have & am happy with a Chase Sapphire Reserve card which earns 3x points on dining. So if I got the Everyday Preferred card, I wouldn't move my dining spend to it because that would be a downgrade in earnings. And without the 30 transactions a month, which I wouldn't necessarily have without dining spend, the EP is not attractive for other types of spend, so I can't justify getting it. But if the EP had a bonus on dining (say similar to what it gives on grocery stores), then it would both be attractive for dining by itself, and the transaction volume that dining creates would also ensure it was an attractive card for non-bonus spend.

That said, I would strongly recommend you consider being open to using a mix of 2 or 3 cards, because there are some great opportunities to quickly earn much more than 1.5 miles per dollar out there if you can keep a couple of cards straight.