FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:12 am
jeffeverde

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jiejie
I think you may have misconstrued some things. First of all, I have not heard of ordinary Canadians using ordinary passports to use any method other than standard paper application, submitted now via the China Visa Application Centres (or alternate agents). The only online visa application facility that I know of for Canadians is for Official Passports/Official business only. So, at this time I don't think Canadian applicants have any special access to different or easier methods than do US ones. But if there are any of you Canadians out there that have been able to get a visa using online method, please out yourselves and confirm.

Second, I believe I have also seen a travel blog (sorry, name/link escapes me) that made this claim of online Chinese visa application for US citizens. I remember that the company referenced was www.ivisa.com because the blog claim piqued my interest and I visited the ivisa site to take a look. I found it to be baloney. The company has you fill out an application form online and send it to them, then they look it over, pdf it, and FedEx it to you for your signature and return to them. Then they get it to the Chinese Consulate and have it processed. In other words, the same thing that you could do yourself. Moreover, a look at the business address of the ivisa company shows it as somebody's apartment in South Florida....nowhere close to a Chinese Consulate. I found the entire thing sketchy, and this is the only company I've seen that makes a claim that "online" application is possible for Chinese visas. Well, I guess if that's how you define online processing. But again, if anybody has found an alternative method for online application that somebody claims to have worked, I'm open to being educated.

I know of no nationality that is able to obtain a Chinese visa through online processing as most of us define the term, at least not for ordinary citizens using standard passports.
I understand that an in-person appointment is required, but based on pages on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China, it appears that residents of a number of countries have the ability to submit a visa application form online, avoiding the extra visit to their local consulate/embassy to submit an application in person. Selecting one of the approved countries from the list on the COVA page will direct one to a page titled "Guidelines for Completing the China Online Visa Application (COVA)", which explains the process of completing a visa application online, uploading the application, and scheduling an appointment.

For residents of Canada, the website for the Embassy Of The People's Republic Of China In Canada has a link titled CHINA ONLINE VISA APPLICATION (third item in the main list of links), which takes one to the COVA page