FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using GUC on KE bookings - Consolidated Thread
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:14 pm
UVAhoo06

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question Using GUC on KE?

Has anyone successfully upgraded on KE using a GUC? If so, what exactly did you ask the DM agent to do? Unfortunately, I've dealt with a lot of incompetent or inexperienced DM agents who have not only refused to follow through on policy (e.g., SDC rules with upgrade instruments), and I want to be be prepared for the (long) conversation.

I've got a trip from Asia back to the US later this year, and I would be flying on a DL-coded, KE-operated flight in M class. This ticket would be issued on DL ticket stock. I know that there has to be O space available to UG, but I was wondering whether there has to be O space open on the DL side or KE side. I ask because in my past experiences, whenever I've used a GUC on KLM, for example, there have been multiple DM agents who have insisted that O or OY space needs to be available. Of course, this doesn't make sense because O and OY fares don't exist for KLM. They should be looking for Z class in the KLM system. Sadly, time and time again, they insist I'm wrong.

Back to my initial queries: What exactly is the DM agent looking for? Do I give them the KE flight number and ask them to look for O? Or, do I give them the DL flight number and tell them to look for O? Tbh, I had a conversation already with a DM agent, and he said that Y fares book into Z and B and M fares book into O. This is despite the fact that this is what the DL site says (in the T&C) for GUCs: " Valid on Delta-marketed, Korean Air-operated flights for use globally on Delta's published fares booked in Y or B class to Korean Air's Z class, or booked in M class to Korean Air's O class."

Thanks ahead of time to all!

UPDATE: Just spoke to another DM agent, and she was much, much more helpful than the first agent. Here's what she said...
  • Tell the DM agent to go to GUC/RUC page.
  • Agent should check upgrade availability on "other airline" tab.
  • Look at Korean Air flight (or DL flight number).
  • Then it lists the class of service that it needs to be changed to (e.g., Y to Z).
Hope this is helpful for folks!

Last edited by UVAhoo06; Sep 22, 2018 at 6:31 pm