FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:06 pm
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Sung Sam
Food used to be much worse at Hapuna but it has improved since the remodel last year. Meridia used to be Coast Grill. Steak and seafood often came out over cooked, plating was uninspiring, etc, The sevice was excruciatingly slow. Sounds like they kept the waiters around after the remodel.

FWIW, Hapuna’s ocean front suite (building 3) had great sound insulation. I rarely heard any noise asides from the one time they hosted a Bacardi sponsored pool party. There were a few dozen kids running around screaming. Too much vodka red bull maybe?

Mauna Kea has horrendous sound proofing in comparison. I have yet to get good sleep on day 4. I can hear conversations from the adjoined room, loud foot steps from the room above, lots of other random noises, etc. Loud enough to jolt me out of sleep at 12am, 1am, 3am, 6am, 7am... Not relaxing at all. I’m not a light sleeper either.

I’m going to try Mauna Lani and Four Seasons next to find my go to hotel for big island.

Too bad since asides from the rooms, I actually liked the property.

I would go back to the Westin Hapuna Beach in a heart beat, especially for an award redemption. Right now, it might be the best points value in the Hawaii. The food-and-beverage could easily be improved. The same with amenities and services, like adding turndown service. That's such an easy fix.

My biggest issue with them is the disingenuousness concerning the construction. They claim construction is complete, but it isn't because the closest hotel building to the ocean was sold for timeshares and that will be under construction until at least November or December. The noise is horrible and none of the remaining hotel buildings are legitimately ocean front whatsoever. Ocean-facing and ocean view, yes, but not ocean front.