FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Altitude Status Qualification Strategy: Miles vs Segments?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:50 am
yyznomad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by shadowspar
You have a good point there for the times when there's been a last-minute change and I'm already booked on a fairly high-grade coach fare anyway. That's when I should really be considering a (possibly quite cheap) out-of-pocket upgrade to PE...especially heading west back across the Atlantic.

Most of the time, though, I'm on a rock-bottom Standard / TFFKAT fare, and even the jump up to Flex is a minimum hike of $500. I'd rather my employer keep that money and use it to put me on more flights, than hand it over to Air Canada for AQMs towards a status I might never reach.
Sure, but from my experience doing tons of TATL and TPAC yearly, it was overall cheaper to get the AQM than to aim for status based on AQS especially if requalifying for S100K yearly.

But like a relative "newbie" (no insult intended - you did say that this will be your first time ever hitting status) there are things that you will discover that no amount of coaxing here can sway you until it happens to you (and then go, oops, they were right!)