FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cape Town, South Africa
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:12 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
I have a new 7-night Category 1-4 that I would like to use while in Cape Town next year and I am trying to decide between the Protea North Wharf and the Africa Pride 15. Although you answer was directed towards another poster, I was hoping that you might have help me decide between them. I will be hiking, shark cage diving and visiting the Winelands area. Unless staying in the Waterfront area, my guess is that I might only visit it once or twice. I will have a rental car for at least part of the time.
Yike, FT wiped out my long reply...

Would suggest North Wharf over Orange Pride as we dont much care for the area around Long Street.

However I feel 7 nights at Cape Town is an overkill. I also dont think it is a good idea to do day trip down to Ganbaii Shark Alley for the dive then have to make it back to Cape Town because your hotel is there.

Personally I would save the cert to use elsewhere and just use points. You really dont need / want to stay 7 nights in Cape Town, even include doing day trip to Cape Peninsula, spend a day at the incredible botanic garden, etc.

If you also have UR pts from Chase, you should check the UR travel portal. Last year we only spent 2 nights in Cape Town before we headed out. The first night was at the Marriott north of the city due to we wanted to check out the wild flower situation at West Cape NP, as well as revisiting the drive along the northern coast. The second night I used about 6500 UR pts at 1.5x for the Radisson Le Vendome at Seapoint.

Rental car at South Africa is very cheap with very reasonable one-way drop off fee. We rented with Avis each time. The past 2 years were 2 one-way rentals each visit. Keeping a rental car all the time does not add much more cost than using Uber or public transportation, if you are comfortable with the "wrong side" of driving, that is.

If you need more info on Cape Town / South Africa, PM me.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 20, 2018 at 3:27 pm