FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anxiety, fear of flying with Eva Air and Asian airlines
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:22 am
TravthaWo

Anxiety, fear of flying with Eva Air and Asian airlines

I have developed a fear of flying long haul flights outside the US.
Because of the FAA and the training for pilots in the US I feel much more comfortable within the states.

Specifically my main fear is pilot training in Asia. Especially due to the demand for pilots. My probably unfounded concern is that if for some reason the pilot of one of these airliners is put in an emergency situation if they are as capable in safely managing the situation.
One airline I have already flown a couple times is Eva Air. So far no problems, however I have fear of if they are put in unusual circumstances. I’d like to book with them again but for some reason these events below are bothering me, in regards to the pilots choices.

2 examples (can’t post links yet)
First:
Incident: Eva B773 at Los Angeles on Dec 16th 2016, ATC instructs turn left instead of right, loss of separation, confusion, dangerous closure to terrain

Second:
BR56 turbulence 11/22
There are some posts about it on the forum.

Who actually regulates this airline or any in Asia for that matter? I understand they are rated top in the world but the criteria for safety in that rating seems country specific, not airline specific. I know I am probably just overly anxious but I was hoping someone could comment on the skill set and decision making of pilots of this airline or Asian airlines. Should I be concerned? I’m looking to fly with them on 777-300er’s. Can any pilots comment?

Edit: 20180922 - Fixed blank spaces

Last edited by TravthaWo; Sep 21, 2018 at 1:01 pm Reason: formating