FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:16 pm
david_oz

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Hi Folks,
Are there any workarounds to allow you to SDC to the exact same flight the day before. Obviously at first glance, your ability to SDC in theory does not open until the same flight the prior is departing. There are plenty of avails, but I'm not aware of a workaround for this. Any suggestions ? My wife has a business ticket on PEK-IAD (Z) and wants to come back a day early as her work plans changed. Many thanks for any suggestions
Edit: sorry, I misread. I can’t think of a way to do this a day earlier. I’ll leave my response below for a day later.

there is a way to do this, but it requires some patience and some luck. Not sure which flight your wife is on, but I searched a random day in October. The PEK-IAD flight leaves at 6:25pm. There are one-stop options via ORD, EWR and SFO which leave the next day at 12:00pm, 3:35pm and 4:10pm. If there is availability in her fare class on BOTH any one of these flights, and the direct 6:25pm flight the next day, she can SDC to one of the one-stop flights, then make another SDC to the direct flight the next day once she is within 24 hours of her “new” flight.

Obviously you take a risk that fare inventory changes, but it’s still possible to do.