FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions on first time Norway trip
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:28 am
meraki

Originally Posted by waffle
Honestly, I wouldn't bother driving four to six hours from Bergen to Trolltunga or Preikestolen in the middle of summer. It's high season, they'll both be massively overrun with tourists and will take 1½–2 days out of your time budget. The main appeal of both of them seems to be that one cliché Instagram shot (for which you'll be queuing for hours), but if you don't need those particular bragging rights, I'd go for one of the hundreds of hikes that are within a day's reach, equally beautiful and nowhere near as crowded. If you're looking for hiking suggestions, ut.no is a great starting point (in Norwegian, but Google probably does a decent job of translating).
I went to Preikestolen and Kjerag in June and if you go early enough, there's barely any people. There were maybe 15 people lounging around near Kjeragbolten when I got there at like 10am, with no queue to get on the rock. There were even less people at Preikestolen when I went but we went very early to catch the sunrise.

Even if it's cliche, it's still a suggestion and since op has a young child (depending on how old), he might want to have those "cliche" photos to show his friends or post them on his social media.

Regarding the food prices, it is very expensive to eat out in Norway but there are ways to minimize it, like purchasing prepared foods from the grocery stores and eating outside and enjoying the view or if you have access to a kitchen, making a meal for yourself once in awhile.