FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - is the only reason to stay with Alaska the mile earning?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:30 pm
xliioper
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djp98374
I have had AS status for a few years and I had status with other carriers.

for me status came from mileage because I’d do 4 XC flights per year which would mean 20K miles which was used to visit family. On top of that I’d do 2-3 work trips and 2-3 personal trips a yeAr.

I used Alaska because of AA and DL partnerships. I figure with the end of these partnerships I think AS would have seen a big drop in elites. Then why the need to do more cuts to elites on top of that.

right now I live on the east coast and I do 3-4 trips to Portland/Seattle area per year. As the model is now I do 3.5 XC trips per year then I can get over 20K for status. They change to a revenue system I will lose status.

I was disappointed in the free change time window if you book ahead. I can understand why they did it.

They could have modified it yo sat one free flight change outside of 60 days

The other airlines still use miles flown for status qualification. While they do have a minimum spend requirement for each tier, you can get it waived/offset with credit card spend. On some of them, you can goose your spend credit by flying partners.