FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:55 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by riphamilton
hi all!

a friend who does some AA flying would like to join my group for a trip to hawaii in mid-november. he's 2700 miles short of a roundtrip. what cheap and relatively simple ways are there to earn those miles?

the best i could come up with is using rocketmiles for a hotel stay. www.rocketmiles.com/aa-welcome seems to have a 4000mi new user bonus, and there's a hotel near his location where he could do a mattress run for $65. i know for UA, there's a site where you can do surveys and earn.

any other creative ideas? thanks!
This is not really an answer to your question, but has your friend considered paying cash for the ticket (at least one way)? AA awards to HI are not really that great a use of miles, and award space around Thanksgiving will likely be difficult to find.

If you have an extra 3,000 miles, you could share the miles with your friend. That probably will be the fastest way and cost less than outright buying the miles (~$60).