FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SYD-JNB on QF with points
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:35 pm
pankarita78

SYD-JNB on QF with points

Hi everyone

We are planning a family trip from Australia to Europe next September and October. This time, we'd like to travel a different route and we are thinking of flying QF from SYD to JNB, stay some days in the area and then fly onwards to FCO with the direct Alitalia flight.

I am looking into getting our QF flights (SYD-JNB and possibly JNB-SYD) using QF frequent flyer points. I will then purchase the Alitalia flights separately, but I have a few questions.

I know that Qantas releases their reward flight seats 353 days in advance, so I am monitoring the site. Up until now they have flights till September 12th, which is 360 days from now (which is weird, as I have never seen this before)! However, up until September 3rd (351 days), they have released the direct flight seats. And it's avalaible every day! After that (between September 4th and 12th), they only have partners reward flights. So I am a bit confused. I am obviously looking into getting the direct flight as I am not willing to spend almost double the amount of points AND flying double the amount of time. ;-)

Also, the dates I need are nowhere near school holidays/high season etc., so there shouldn't be any block out dates.

Any idea why they are not releasing the direct fligh tickets? Does that happen often? Wil they be realising them in the next few days?

ANY idea, tips, suggestions, etc. are more than welcome.

Thanks everyone!