FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ski-in/out resort
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:48 pm
evergrn

Originally Posted by shuigao
If I only get 1 or max 2 ski trips a year would you guys still say its better to (at least) buy my own boots and only rent skis and poles at destination? I've only ever used rental gear but as my wife has also picked up the ski bug, it's a lot easier to get her agreement for more frequent ski trips ��
I would if I were you. Bad boots can ruin your day. You can ski better and longer and likely have less pain in your own custom-fitted boots. At least that's how I feel, although sometimes I have lucked into really good pair or rental boots. I've never taken boots with me on planes before, but I will starting this winter.

I probably only ski max 9 days per season. But your own boots are definitely a must imho. After I turned ~35, my threshold for getting hurt and developing pain got much lower. I always rented everything and nothing bothered me. But since then, skiing became progressively more taxing to my feet and knees. So I got my own pair of boots. And I think I'm going to take my boots with me everywhere, even when going abroad to ski.