FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kirby thinks airfares should be double
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:20 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oopsz
Considering the amount of consolidation and bankruptcy in the industry over the last 30 years, I'm actually surprised fares haven't doubled.

In 1988 your legacy carriers were DL, NW, UA, AA, TW, PA, EA, and CO (ish -- they were a mess in '88, less than two years removed from bankruptcy #1 and well on their way to their second bankruptcy in five years). Plus Southwest was out there making the southwest effect a thing.

Down to three legacy carriers and fares are still pretty reasonable. I guess despite it all, there still is competition in the aviation marketplace.
while you have less legacies now due to consolidarion and airlines going out of business, you’re ignoring the pressure that (U)LCCs have. I’m 1988, there were virtually no low cost carriers, and WN, which did exist, was a fraction of the size, so while they had some markets they served, it wasn’t nearly as many as they have today. Now, all of those legacies from ‘88 which no longer exist have been replaced with LCCs, Frontier, Allegiant, Sun County, etc. make no mistake that without them, fares would surely be higher today.

While I would rarely fly one of those carriers - I don’t want the everything costs extra model, which I believe, in the end, often costs more - I have no doubt that the fact those carriers are competing also lowers fares on UA and other legacies. Take CVG for example, which until a few years ago, had a dominant carrier (DL) and no LCCs Flying, and was pretty much always in the top 5 most expensive airports to fly to. The DL dominance started to go away, and fares remained pretty high. Then there was a domino effect when ULCCs started coming - now Frontier and Allegiant fly multiple daily flights to multiple destinations, and WN finally arrived back last June. As the growth continues - airfares have continued to drop - with CVg now being able to promote itself as the lowest price airport to fly out of in the region, and still is growing consoderably. And as prices dropped, the airport started to grow significantly - Cincinnati-based pax that used to drive to DAY, CMH, etc. because it was cheaper there now are flying out of CVG again because he pendulum has swung.