FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ski-in/out resort
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:54 pm
evergrn

Originally Posted by Cynicor
December is a poor month where you are at the mercy of snow cover more than anything. Look at the 2015 and 2016 Dec figures for Hakuba and you'll see even past Christmas they were sometimes skiing on rock and grass! Hokkaido is the only place for Dec skiing if you need to book in advance, and they charge like wounded bulls at that time.

i agree late feb is preferable, though weather is as likely to shut things down at either time I feel. Late feb has possibility of rain which solidifies and makes the runs bulletproof. No one wants to fall on sheet ice.

I do truly believe that the backcountry is much more accessible in Japan than anywhere. It's harder on skis so you'd want powder skiing experience from the resort, but I know 2 guides (one is a local, Japanese lady) who would be excellent for beginners if interested.
This year the big snow trip for me is Kyrgyzstan but I will be in Niseko region late Feb, too.
I agree with you about Dec. On a lot of ski areas in Honshu that normally opens in mid-Dec, I guess late Dec skiing was okay in 2017, barely manageable in 2016, not possible in 2015. This is why I'm keeping my booking at Kiroro just in case. But you're right about the prices up there. As bad as Whistler. Normal Japanese wouldn't be able to afford it.

Kyrgyzstan?! Wow! That'll be an adventure.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Evergrn have you tried Madarao. I did a day there earlier this year. Decent skiing. Lodging is a bit basic. You could easily do a day trip to check it out.
I've definitely kept an eye on Madarao. Looks like a terrific mountain. Unfortunately the lodging situation isn't going to work out. We really need ski-in/out. Tokyu Harvest is really the only hotel I'd feel enthusiastic about staying at, but I guess the hotel is membership-based. Tangram Hotel would be acceptable, but their rates are astronomical (65,000yen/night, no meals included!). Madarao Kogen Hotel is cheap but sorry it's out of question for us (old, communal toilet).