FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ski-in/out resort
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:14 pm
5khours

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks for the feedback on Cortina. That really helps. Based on your comments, I'm inclined to scratch Cortina off my list for this winter. It would probably be back to NASPA or Kiroro then... more likely NASPA.

Have you been to Aomori Spring, by chance?

Tell me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Dec have higher chances of blizzard and heavy snowfall than mid-late Feb (which is when we're going back for another ski trip)?
For ski resorts that have tendency to close lifts readily and have terrain that gets severely compromised by summit lift closures, do you think you're better off going in Feb than Dec?
Kiroro seems to close their summit lifts (inc gondola) often, so maybe you're taking bigger risk if you were to go there in Dec?
On the other hand, I was at NASPA last Dec where the snow was coming down hard and the wind was howling. But surprisingly they kept the lifts going (only a few diehards kept skiing).

If you think an intermediate (at best) skier can handle backcountry skiing in Jpn, I'll have to look into it.
Evergrn have you tried Madarao. I did a day there earlier this year. Decent skiing. Lodging is a bit basic. You could easily do a day trip to check it out.