FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:37 am
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
I called Delta 2 days prior to check-in to apply my GUC. Upon check-in, and also at KLM lounge, the staff could not see me on the wait list. They said it probably meant it was full.

At the gate I asked the staff there and they could see my GUC but currently flight was full. Anecdotal, but Delta app said 3 D1 available so I'm guessing that's not correct. 5 minutes after I asked gate they called my name and put me in 3C. 😎
For what it's worth, KLM agents in Amsterdam are notorious for selling upgrades on Delta flights. I wouldn't be surprised if KLM, which handles the ground operations for Delta, was trying to sell the seat before processing upgrades via certificate.

I always ask about upgrades just because there seems to be no rules in Amsterdam. I've used both miles and certificates and also been upgraded complimentary just for asking. That happened a year ago. The KLM agent in the lounge said she could use my certificate and clear me, but the main cabin was overbooked and she would just put me in business-class as an operational upgrade for free. Who knows. Maybe I would have received that upgrade at the gatehouse with a different KLM agent, but you never know.

I suppose you also have to determine if it makes more sense to use miles for an upgrade or one of four global upgrade certificates. Personally, I'd rather save my global upgrade certificates for longer flights to/from Asia than relatively short flights between Western Europe and the East Coast.