FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:07 am
Cambo

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I'm on CX908 departing MNL at 6am connecting to PVG on KA804... there shouldn't be any problems since the typhoon should be on the eastern side of Luzon. I spoke my contacts at the airport and they said currently CX908 will still depart on time (depending on tonight's departure of CX913).

This morning I called the MNL office to sort it out, the only viable resolution I have was to ask them to reinstate my booking original booking, but when I logged in after lunch I saw that the protection team must have taken it out and put me again on the 16th on MU.
I can imagine, CX wants to have HKG airport as empty is possible, to avoid overcrowding, passenger support. Suppose, they get on top of the typhoon some limited capacity on Sept 15, due to high Xwinds, rain and bad visibility, as well as passengers missing due to chaos, with luggage offloading, etc. Then things start to crop up.

With CX aircraft at HKG airport during a serious typhoon, with all damage resulting of that, they not want that. Do you remember last year Cuba, Puerto Rico and even US mainland, airlines moving their aircraft to safer locations during the typhoon ?

So, I certainly understand CX protection teams' actions overriding your persistent DM privs to avoid you turn angry, when things do go indeed haywire.