FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A380 First class: Pros and Cons I haven't seen being talked about
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:38 am
murtaza12

Originally Posted by dmlf1
Wi-fi (This is probably the most common and predictable issue of the ones I encountered).

The Wi-fi did not work every time I tried to use it, approximately 3 hours after takeoff and 3 hours before landing, multiple times each time. The plane was at cruising altitude both times, so that wasn't the problem. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for it.
EK states that WiFi on their A380 is significantly slower, I think it was mentioned during the ICE advert just after takeoff. The 380 is only capable of 864 kbps, which is quite pathetic, and the B777 was advertised as going up to 3 Mbps, but in my experience, it was hovering around the 7-8 Mbps mark.

On my trip to KUL in July, my dad flew the 380, and had a hard time using the WiFi as well, so he eventually gave up. I flew to and from KUL on the B777, and had WiFi almost the entire duration of the flight. Although browsing was a bit slow, probably due to the insanely high latency, everything worked fine, heck I even managed to post an FT thread on the way there asking how to reset the IFE cause the one on my seat wasn't working right.