FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A380 First class: Pros and Cons I haven't seen being talked about
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:10 am
dmlf1

A380 First class: Pros and Cons I haven't seen being talked about

I'm making this thread because I wasn't able to find the information I wanted to share anywhere online. I apologize in advance if this is all common knowledge. I put the different topics in order of what I would think are the least talked about to the most talked about, so hopefully the most interesting stuff will come first. I do have 2 pictures I wish I could post, each one illustrating one of the pros, but I am a new member of this forum so I'm understandably not allowed.

Pros:

Leg Stretching

Being able to have your legs fully stretched for the entire flight, even during takeoff and landing, by propping your feet up on the table in front of you. I didn't ask, but I'm pretty sure the flight attendants saw me and didn't say anything. Even if you're not tall enough to reach the front table, you might be able to use the side console. For reference, I'm 1,84m and I had to use the side of the table since the middle was too close.

Corn Flakes

What I asked for was corn flakes. What I got was a bowl of corn flakes with the milk in a small metal pitcher on the side, a small white ceramic cup with 3 packets of browns sugar, 2 packets of white sugar, and 2 packets of sweetener, a basket with 4 different pastries, and a plate with 3 different jams, butter and honey. I was blown away.

Cons:

Power Outlets

The power outlets have a power limit of 150 watts. If you plug in anything that pulls more than that, they shut down until you unplug it. My laptop isn't particularly big or expensive, sporting a 15.6" screen, an i7-6700HQ and a GTX 950m (the main power consumers), but at the 110 volts the sockets run at, its charger pulls 220w. The most efficient universal charger that I was able to find that could supply my laptop with enough power to run still needed 187w. According to what I was told by a live chat customer support employee, that limit is the same on every class of every flight Emirates operates. I understand that there needs to be a limit, but I wish it was bigger for First, especially considering how few seats it has. I guess I would had still been able to use my laptop for some time by giving it to a cabin crew member for them to charge it using their maintenance plugs once it ran out of battery, if it didn't come busted out of the box. Thanks Asus.

Food

They ran out of the main course dish I wanted to have 2 hours after takeoff. This was a 17 hour flight. The one I settled on was mediocre. A friend of mine that was also in first was able to get the one I originally wanted but apparently it was also nothing special so I guess I didn't miss out on much. To be fair, I had another 4 varieties of food and they were all quite good.

Shower

While it is amazing to be able to have a shower on a plane, I found the inside of it to be too cold during mine. By the end of it I was almost freezing. This is because you only get 5 minutes of running water, so you have to rinse yourself and then turn off the water while you scrub, and the water that stayed on my body cooled quickly. The lack of some sort of general heating in the bathroom seems odd to me, considering the floor is heated.

Wi-fi (This is probably the most common and predictable issue of the ones I encountered).

The Wi-fi did not work every time I tried to use it, approximately 3 hours after takeoff and 3 hours before landing, multiple times each time. The plane was at cruising altitude both times, so that wasn't the problem. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for it.

That's all I have to say for now, thank you for reading. I'll try to answer any questions you might have.

Last edited by dmlf1; Sep 13, 2018 at 9:13 am Reason: Dot instead of space