FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Club Europe catering | menus, reviews and photos
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:20 am
cosmo74

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
BA2645, operated by Titan, 1130 departure, 12 Sep 18. Contrary to remarks up-thread, the new catering has also [at least here] rolled out to LGW as well. The CC were a bit surprised too, when they got the new menu cards. The hyperbole in BA's "Welcome on Board" commentary provided a nice giggle

To my surprise, we got a packet of Almonds with the [prompt] first drinks run. I'm not familiar with Band 4 flights, but this seemed a new addition.

On to the prime Topic ...

• The Antipasti Starter was nice and refreshing. I decided to save some of it to accompany the Cheese.
  • The Massaman Beef Curry was tender and very tasty. Rice was perfect. The solitary manage tout laid on top was an odd idea, and it would have nice if it had been 'stringed' first!
  • The Orchard fruit crop was also delicious. A sort of cold stewed apple on a crumb base, with some other dark fruit in there as well Very refreshing and flavoursome.
  • The Cheese was good, although the Somerset Brie could have been a bit riper [personal preference]. The two lonely grapes justified my retention of some of the Antipasti! The Netherend Farm butter was fine, as were the crispbread biscuits.
A couple of passes of the usual mix of warmed rolls was also included, although the tiny tray left nowhere for them to go other than perched on top of something else! I shall abandon all thoughts of a bread plate!

The Mouton Cadet made a satisfactory accompaniment, and the 2nd bottle was as good as the first.

Seems like a mixed bag - I had the Massiman curry last week from LGW, pre changes, and i think it was pretty much the same. Starter seems like a serious downgrade compared to the smoked salmon we had on the way out, and is still a lot smaller than the starter we had on the way back, which contained very similar ingredients - just more of them.
Dessert, there's probably not much of a difference. The addition of a second cheese is a plus, although i quite liked the apple jelly thing that came with it before, so only half a plus point. The return of the small wine bottles is welcome, and must save the crew a bit of work now they don't have to do quite so many top-ups.

Overall, I'd say this a true BA 'enhancement' for the longer routes, with the starters now inferior and the main courses unchanged.

PS - the almonds were served previously, and are a bit tasteless for my liking

Last edited by cosmo74; Sep 13, 2018 at 7:21 am Reason: Edited to mention almonds were not new