FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hacked Marriott Account and Horrible Customer Service
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:40 pm
Gramercy Flyer

Programs: Delta-Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Starwood-Platinum;
Angry Hacked Marriott Account and Horrible Customer Service

This Sunday my Marriott account was hacked and over 1 million points were taken from my account. I caught this hack and contacted Marriott. After numerous telephone calls and numerous people (average wait time on the Platinum line iwas over 15 minutes) after several days I got my points back. What has shocked me about this incident was the lack of security controls by Marriott, and lack of intelligent customer service. For instance my address and telephone was changed to a European address - and nobody at Marriott caught it. After numerous discussions my address and phone numbers were changed - but Marriott left the European country code on my numbers which I had to call again and have them change. After I got the country telephone code changed this evening I spoke to a supervisor about my status. I was a lifetime Starwood Platinum with over 12 years Platinum and well over 800 nights in the combined program I spoke to a person who claimed she was a supervisor and asked why my account is not Platinum Preferred since I met the qualifications and she stated that she was instructed that all Starwood people would not get Platinum Preferred status - only legacy Marriott members would. When I told her that was incorrect she insisted that was true but I could file a complaint She put me on hold for ten minutes and then hanged up - without any call back.
My perception of Marriott is extremely poor security controls for their accounts, and rude and incompetent customer service agents - with a long wait time to get a call.
Any suggestions as to how I can elevate this situation - especially for my status?
All suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks