FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - is the only reason to stay with Alaska the mile earning?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:57 pm
smilee

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Do the math

I can understand the frustration of the OP. I was MVP - then Gold for 10 + years then 75. Also was top tier in other programs such as AA too. So I understand how frustrating it is when you not only invest your time to fly AND to learn the ins and outs of a program, but also your hard earned money.

AS's biggest advantage in my opinion right now is the mileage earning. Unfortunately when I do the math of the program benefits and the costs to stay MVP Gold, the math no longer adds up. The change fees, same day standby, upgrades on certain fares are nice. BUT the costs for myself for those benefits and the miles earned do not add up.

Alaska is a fine airline, and has the best benefit in my opinion is the mileage earning.

I used to like the upgrades and change fees as a MVP gold. But now for me, with the partners leaving and saver seats harder to get, the math does not work. Its often cheaper for me to purchase a "F" fare on a partner then a upgradealbe fare. Or all F seats are sold out and I would be sitting in the back anyhow, so I might as well buy a cheaper coach fare on someone who I am not loyal too.

Do the math. How much do you spend on flights? How much does your loyalty cost you? How many additional miles do you earn? Is there availability to spend your miles? How much would you be willing to spend for those miles?

It is some complex math at times, but unfortunately I find most airline loyalty programs since the big mergers are weak, and the math just does not add up anymore.... And that is sad, but it is the reality of 2018. I still enjoy travelling, and unfortunately I sit in coach a little more on short flights and I spend a bit more on change fee, but the money I saved not being loyal....adds up correctly.