FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:37 pm
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pnsnkr
Just checked in to tomorrow's AUS-IAH-AMS flight and wanted to SDC the AUS-IAH segment to an earlier flight to ensure >1hr connect time, given the current weather conditions in IAH. This outbound leg of the RT itinerary was booked in 'W' and I did a buy-up to 'P' for the IAH-AMS segment. After checkin, I didn't see any SDC option even with W9 for the AUS-IAH segment. So, I called the premier desk and was informed that this is an illegal SDC as this is a "through" flight, and that the itinerary had to be repriced for me to take the earlier flight. I've done SDC's quite a few times before and this "through" flight rule is news to me.

... Did I misunderstand SDC rules?
Yes,

When you SDC, you can not SDC just one segment, you have to SDC all the remaining flights to the destination. So you would have needed to SDC AUS-IAH-AMS and the purchased fare class would have been needed all the way. Additional this is a broken fare (segments with different fare classes) this is nearly impossible to SDC.

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
When I mentioned that I was not comfortable with a 1hr connect time in IAH due to the current weather conditions, the agent mentioned that she'll do this SDC without repricing this one time as a special case. ...
That was the best way to handle. It wasn't a SDCbut an itin change with the agent waiving the change fee,