FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:13 am
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mingzie
Well basically this too. Not sure what kind of meetings you guys are holding. It doesn't have to be a party / wedding. It could just be a discussion.

Also, imagine Marriott had a promotion - stay until September 30 for 5000 bonus points a stay. You finish a stay but it goes missing and takes them until the 8th August to post it. Should the person be awarded the 5000 bonus points still? Of course, right.

So Marriott ran a promotion with 10 EQNs per meeting until 18 Aug. Is the person qualified for 10 EQN even though the meeting took until 27 Aug to post?

What's the difference? Here we have terms changing and removal of benefits. The promotion with the stay also has no bonus points based on the terms based on benefits being outside the t and c. We should base off stay date not post date.

Imagine again Marriott doesn't provide a member breakfast at all. They complain about the Platinum benefits guarantee. Ten days later Marriott removes the breakfast benefit, hotel says 'screw you'.

​​​​​This is downright wrong, not to mention illegal. You are free to change the rules, but you can't retroactively apply rules AFTER a contract has already been fulfilled on one side.
Since you don't want to provide the information normally exchanged on FT by those asking for advice, I'm assuming that you had something like a couple of $75 meetings a Fairfield Inns solely for the purpose of getting 20 nights credits. If we're all honest, we'd acknowledge that it is this type of behavior that has led Marriott to change the program. Further, to the extent your complaint reached Marriott executives (which seems unlikely), it would color their view of the program.

In contrast, you might be well advised to let people who had real meetings and who really stay at Marriott's drive this issue. They will have much more credibility than someone with no demonstrated loyalty to Marriott. Some of those individuals stay 75 nights a year and would like credit for the real meetings they organized. You will likely benefit for their efforts although your efforts could hurt everyone's chances.

I'm not a meeting organizer but I have had dozens of meetings at hotels over the years. The vast majority (but not all) impose a minimum catering spend and have AV charges, even if you use your own. I've always let others get credits for the meetings.

Patience is a virtue. I still have one post 8/18 stay with three nights and a few thousand points that hasn't credited but I'm not constantly calling or emailing. I presume they'll get it fixed within the next week or two.