FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Uber does not work at SDU for short rides.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:46 am
VidaNaPraia

Originally Posted by KDS777
A living wage for a cabbie is not determined by how much an individual trip costs, but by how much one makes in a day doing trips of all types and distances. On the third request down the lien of cabbies, we got one who drove us with all of our stuff. Tipped him very well as I always do (R$50) and told him to make sure the other driver's knew it........heh.

Never had this happen to me in Rio, with UBER or taxis (and I live about 5 minuted from Rio Sul, a common destination). This is just one of the many reasons I detested Salvador. Most everyone in the service/hospitality industries were horrible to deal with due to their PT induced sense of entitlement.
If the driver spends hours in a line, waiting to move to the head of the line for the next fare, it cuts down on the number of fares per day and hence the amount earned, so giving up his place in line for a cheap fare makes no fiscal sense. Perhaps if you want to guarantee a ride, you should mention up front what you are willing to pay/tip, because you are a unique exception to those who pay only the metered fare or equivalent. Solteropolitanos, after hundreds of years of exploitation, are largely no longer willing to let themselves be taken advantage of, a characteristic I admire them greatly for. There is a great sense of community: somehow, if one person has, everyone eats and gets by, happily, as Baianos are well known for. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to hear whatever story the driver you tipped told his fellows, because most assuredly it was not the one you counted on.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Sep 11, 2018 at 12:13 am