FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Explain Globalist vs. Marriott/SPG platinum?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:09 am
jameswes

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, you can redeem at 2 cpp (or higher) but that's not the value in the abstract. A more accurate valuation is in the range of 1.5 cpp. Just as a good theoretical Marriott valuation is .9 cpp (though I've redeemed much higher).
I actually think that 2 is pretty fair. 1.5 is really the bare minimum for Hyatt points. I typically get more like 2-3 cpp from Hyatt.

For example, last month I spent a few nights at Hyatt Centric San Francisco. 15K points/night, the nightly rate was $600 + $115 in taxes/fees + $60 parking (Included on points). That's just over 5 cents per point. And admittedly it's a little extreme, but it's not hard at all to find examples that are 3+.
In San Francisco there are a couple of Courtyards at 35K. Everything else if 50K+ points/night. And going up on expensive dates due to peak pricing that starts next year.

Reward Stock: Values at 1.97 cpp
TPG: Values at 1.8 cpp

Again, point values are extremely subjective. But as a general rule-of-thumb, Hyatt points are worth about twice as much as a Marriott point. Especially since the huge values from Marriott/SPG points was the Marriott Travel Package and SPG transfers to airlines. With those being diluted, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Marriott point value go down a little bit.