FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using AA Miles for F from MLE: EY vs CX
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:40 pm
OneWorldSapphire

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Using AA Miles for F from MLE: EY vs CX

Curious to get opinions from the team. Husband and I are redeeming 115,000 AA miles to return (First Class) to LA next summer from the Maldives. Options are via the Atlantic on EY or via the Pacific on CX. Routes would be:

MLE-AUH-JFK-LAX. EtIhad apartment for AUH-JFK and AA transcon F for the final leg. The MLE-AUH leg is operated with a recliner regional J seat.

or

MLE-CMB-HKG-LAX. Flying SriLankan (reverse herringbone) for the short hop to Colombo, CX reverse herringbone to HKG and then CX F HKG-LAX (with a 6 hour layover at HKG to enjoy The Pier)

Spoilt for choice, obviously. We’ve flown CX First once before (HKG-LHR), about 5 years ago, and I have such warm nostalgic feelings about it. That bed, the Krug, the service. One of the best flights I’ve ever taken, if not the best. Not a single negative thing to say about that one experience. But it’s been a while—is it still just as polished and perfect?

We’ve taken four flights on the EY Apartment, and more recently, too. We flew it on our honeymoon LHR-AUH-SYD r/t three years ago. We had two incredible crews, and two mediocre crews. The two segments with excellent crews made for an incredible experience; the other two lessened the overall experience. And the ground experience with EY, of course, is often “meh”. But watching flight reviews of the cabin also gives me the feels. That apartment-the space in the joining apartments, so private and exclusive. And when they get it right, they do get it right.

I am genuinely interested in what you think is the best use of the 115,000 AA miles: EY or CX. I’m especially hopeful that those of you who have also done both will help me reach a decision. What would you do? I cannot decide what will be the best experience (obviously wishing I could do both back-to-back to compare and let you know, but that’s not an option...)

Last edited by OneWorldSapphire; Sep 8, 2018 at 6:18 pm