FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transiting in SVO or take train?
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:18 pm
OpenSky

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
​​​​​​While I can't answer for OP, I will say that as a typically risk-adverse individual, I would tend to opt for the train-metro-Aeroexpress option, since even a severe snowstorm isn't usually going to throw those three off schedule like it could a flight. If a potential misconnect wasn't a huge deal, yeah, flight all day for simplicity's sake. But when connecting on two separate tickets... yeah, that could be a concern.

Having said that, given that it is the LED-SVO route we're talking about here, with a flight every hour almost, even I would usually be pretty comfortable taking the flight instead of the train. And I love the train, for the record.
I have more faith in SU operating LED-SVO in an on time and in a reliable manner than I do any US airline operating the New York - Boston - Washington Shuttle or the LA - SFO shuttle. I say SU ( not Rossiya or the rest). In the worst of weather, when I was sure it would cancel, the flights have operated like clockwork.That's saying a lot.

DL will delay a flight at the slightest sight of clouds and winds, that may cause them to burn 1/2 or more lbs fuel than they planned for. I've seen in countless times.

The only way I would take the train is if I was staying near the Leningrad station and had to be near the Moscow station , in the morning during rush hour. That sort of makes sense. But if you are already at SVO and you want to trek down to take the train, , unless its you are a train geek and its a thing.