FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:26 am
HiSo

Programs: Always J
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I think we can be fairly certain that the message coming from BA about ensuring everyone affected is compensated is only intended to cover direct financial loss when it comes to monetary payments. I would be surprised if BA paid out for anything else voluntarily, and legal action may be required.

Tiger_lily outlines one possible route which you could use - although you are going to have to quantify the non-material loss if you choose to do that.

In the circumstances I’d sit it out a few days and wait, particularly if you have status with BA. After the last IT issue BA took several days to formulate a discretionary compensation package, which turned out to be a status extension for a year. They may well (indeed, are likely to) look to do something again over the next few days that might - or might not - satisfy you. Once that pans out you can start making decisions on how to move forward.
My wife and I were caught up in the BA 27 May 2017 debacle for which we received adequate financial compensation and also a shedload of additional Avios on top of what we were expecting for our return LHR-BKK flight.

But this fiasco is infinitely more serious and has left me, and hundreds of thousands of others, exposed to identity theft which is non-material damage thus far, but will obviously become material damage if my identity is used for nefarious purposes in the future. I'm actually not worried at all that my Amex cards are compromised as I trust Amex and have found their proactive communication to be reassuring.

Personally, I'm not having this and BA will need to come up with adequate redress or I will have no choice but to claim under GDPR Article 82.

This is what I intend to do to get the ball rolling - I'm going to communicate my grievance directly to BA and request compensation but I'm going to leave it to them to make me an offer to settle the matter. If not, then I intend to claim through the courts, which is my least preferred course of action, but I'll do it if I'm forced to.