FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you mind if I borrow your pen?
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:49 pm
Low Roller

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I think you are confusing the ink with the pen. It is the ink that determines qualities like smudging, flow, etc. The pen part to some extent impacts delivery but I always thought the main appeal of the pen was how it felt in your hand (i.e. weight and balance) and whether it's something that's comfortable for your writing habits (i.e. if you're a writer working on dozens of pages of a book). The former tends to be cheaper than the latter (i.e. most ink carts are between $3-$30 depending on brand, qualities, etc.) whereas the barrel or proper part of the pen can cost hundreds of dollars.
I agree that the feel (and look) of the pen are most important But most brands take specific refills, so that's a consideration too -- Some are better than others. Once you have one you like and know which refills you like (fine point, medium point, etc.) you can stick with the same type for years and generally get consistent results (although I've occasionally purchased a bad batch of refills, but it's rare).

But, I fear we are getting too far off-topic. The bottom line for me is that I'm not lending anyone my good pens in case they don't get returned or get returned as a germ-covered mess, but if I have some cheapo plastic ones on hand, I will gladly share and would hope that others would do the same if I were ever in need.